Greater Sydney restrictions
Rules and restrictions for Greater Sydney including the Blue Mountains, Central Coast, Wollongong and Shellharbour.
Stay at home rules: Greater Sydney
Includes the Blue Mountains, Central Coast, Wollongong and Shellharbour
If you live in, usually work in, or usually attend a university or other tertiary education facility in Greater Sydney including the Blue Mountains, Central Coast, Wollongong and Shellharbour local government areas, stay at home rules apply.
If you have left Greater Sydney
Stay at home rules apply if you were in Greater Sydney, including the Blue Mountains, Central Coast, Wollongong and Shellharbour on or after Monday 21 June 2021,
You must follow the stay at home rules for 14 days from the date you left the area.
Overseas arrivals who have quarantined
You do not need to follow the stay at home rules for 14 days after leaving Greater Sydney if
- you have completed your 14 days in quarantine in Greater Sydney
- you leave Greater Sydney (including the Blue Mountains, Central Coast, Wollongong and Shellharbour) as soon as possible after the end of your isolation period
- you travel out of Greater Sydney by a private vehicle (not public transport, taxi or ride share) by the most direct route possible or you travel directly to Sydney Airport and fly out of Greater Sydney
- you do not enter any premises in Greater Sydney, where possible
- you wear a mask and stay 1.5 metres away from any other person while in Greater Sydney
- you get a COVID-19 test 2 days after leaving isolation.
Reasonable excuse to leave home
A reasonable excuse is if you need to
- obtain food or other goods and services
- in your local government area, within 10km of your home, if reasonably practicable
- for the personal needs of the household or for other household purposes (including pets)
- for vulnerable people
- only one person per household may leave the home to obtain food or other goods and services each day (you may take a dependent person with you if that person cannot be left at home on their own).
- leave home to go to work if
- you cannot reasonably work from home or
- are an authorised worker living in the Blacktown, Canterbury-Bankstown, Cumberland, Fairfield, Georges River, Liverpool or Parramatta local government areas
- from Thursday 29 July 2021 are an authorised worker living in the Campbelltown, Georges River or Parramatta local government areas
- leave home for education if it is not possible to do it at home
- exercise and take outdoor recreation within your local government area or up to 10km from your home.
- go out for medical or caring reasons, including obtaining a COVID-19 vaccination.
See the list of other reasonable excuses.